5G is the latest technology in the cellular communication space, offering faster speeds, lower latency and enhanced capacity. 5G modems for embedded applications are largely being released in the M.2 form factor. Gateworks single board computers use Mini-PCIe slots for cellular and WiFi connectivity.
To accommodate these new 5G modems, such as the Telit FN980M, Gateworks has released a flexible Mini-PCIe to M.2 adapter that supports modems up to 52mm in length. The M.2 slot is a B-Key slot that supports USB 2.0 & 3.0 depending on the model, with PCIe signalling optional. Dual Nano SIM slots are available on the back side of the card. This M.2 adapter is designed and built to be used with the Gateworks families of rugged and industrial single board computers. The SBCs feature Mini-PCIe slots, with a variety of signals offered, including USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and PCIe. Despite modems using USB2.0 for the longest time, many faster modems are taking advantage of USB3.0 and even PCIe to reach the fastest possible speeds.
5G M.2 Cellular Modem Adapter Highlights:
- Converts Mini-PCIe slot to M.2 B-Key Slot
- Supports various size M.2 Cards30, 42, 50 & 52mm long 5G M.2 Modems (30mm wide & less)
- Offers Dual Nano SIM slots
- Supports both USB 2.0 and 3.0 (varies by model)
- PCIe can optionally be supported at time of order
- Supported on Gateworks Rugged & Industrial Single Board Computers